The Bay View Hotel was near the wharf and was very convenient for travellers, in the age when, ferry boats were the main means of transportation between Whycocomagh and
Sydney and all points between. The Bay View has since been torn down.
We are not sure when this picture was taken, probably 1930-1940's
Looking across to First Nations
   From Whycocomagh Park
Whycocomagh Bay &
      Indian Island
This page was last updated: October 7, 2017
St. Andrews Presbyterian Church
 &  "The Old Red School House"
Latitude - Longitude:  45d  59'  00"  N       61d  07'  00"  W
This picture was brought to our attention by Murdoch Burton of Bay St Lawrence.

Since it was on another web site, I asked for, and was given permission, by Lois K. Yorke--Manager, Public Services,  NOVA SCOTIA ARCHIVES & RECORDS MANAGEMENT. to use the picture on our web site--only.---Thanks very much Lois.

Please do not copy.  The picture is believed to be taken  about 1920

This picture and many more, as well as  loads of other infromation are available at


Regular Meetings
            Stewart United Church
              Sunday at 11:00 AM 
      except last Sunday at 9:30 AM
St. Andrews Presbtyterian Church
          11:00 AM Sunday
 Rev. Andrew S. MacDonald
       Sircom Lodge # 66
     1 st Thursday @ 8: PM
Lodge Building - Main St.

Whycocomagh Vol. Fire Dept.
Whycocomagh & Area Lions Club
 8:00 PM - 1 st & 3 rd.  Wednesday
   Lions Hall - Stewartdale.
Holy Trinity Catholic Church
Little Narrows Presbyterian Church
              9:30 AM Sunday
      Rev. Andrew S. MacDonald
Gaelic - for Whycocomagh
 Whycocomagh Basin --1920  ------2007
Sign InView Entries
A painting by Barry Fraser
Whycocomagh Recreation Ctr.

Royal Canadian Legion
        Branch # 123
Memorial donations to the Stewartdale Cemetery
                        can be mailed to:

             Stewartdale Cemetery Committee
                             P.O. Box 415
                                  B0E 3M0

Be sure to include return address so receipt can be sent.
This road sign was at Stewart United Church.
This was the main road between Port Hastings and Baddeck, before the TCH.
Micmac - for Whycocomagh
Much of this information is from the book - "The History of Inverness Couinty" 
                by J.L. MacDougall
"The first settler  to come to that part of the district of Whycocomagh whereon the village is built was JOHN MacKINNON of TYREE,SCOTLAND, who came in the spring of 1821. He was the progenitor of the Whycocomagh MacKinnons and took up 400 acres of land, a goodly portion of which is now covered by the village. He was married in Scotland to ELIZABETH MacLEAN, also a native of Tryee, with issue: Allen, Hugh, Peter, Sandy, Neil, Flora, Katie, Effie and Ann."
"The second settler in the neighborhood of the village was DONALD MacDONALD. He came here from NORTH UIST, SCOTLAND in the early summer of 1827.He landed at North Sydney in July,accompanied by his widowed mother, three younger brothers and a sister, namely: Angus, Alexander, Allan and Margaret. On their arrival in North Sydney, Donald bought a large boat and proceeded up the Bras d'Or lakes looking for a desirable place to locate to.  No place appealed to him till he reached Whycocomagh and bought a farm from an Irishman at the foot of Salt Mountain.On this farm was raised one of the remarkable families of Inverness County. Three members of that family were the late Peter MacDonald, merchant, of Whycocomagh; the late Honorable James MacDonald, merchant of West Bay; and R.J. MacDonald, merchant of Port Hood. They were sons of Donald MacDonald above noted. It is doubtful that any three brothers in any rural district in Nova Scotia, commencing life without  much experience or capital, ever scored the commercial success achieved severally by these three brothers, Peter, James and Ronald J. All three had good character and judgement, and a perfect genius for business. The other brothers of Donald MacDonald branched out into other places. Our information is that some, if not all, of them went to Upper Canada.
Near the bottom of this page will be found parts of the history of Whycocomagh,CBI.
Mass -  Sunday at 10. A.M.
"New"  Old Pictures of Whycocomagh
( Hockama )
   Picture by
Jen. MacInnis
Opening on  11/09/10
Your beliefs do not make you a better person,                  your behavior does.
(1)  The original Hillcrest Hotel about 1926
(2)  The original Hillcrest Hotel on fire 1929
(3)  The new Hillcrest Hotel about 1931
The present building in used as an apartment building.
# 1                      # 2                       # 3                       
The old bridge on the Skye River on Rt # 5
The lower part of the Park.  MacQueens house can be seen in the upper left.